Are you an emerging female choreographer? Could you benefit from receiving guidance from some of the dance industry’s leading professionals in both India and the UK? Do you want to present your work internationally whilst championing gender equality?
If you’re talented, ambitious and hardworking then we have an opportunity for you. 2Faced Dance Company (UK) in partnership with Attakkalari Centre for Movement Arts (Bangalore), Sumeet Navgdev Dance Arts (Mumbai) and Darpana Academy of Performing Arts (Ahmedabad) have developed a ground-breaking international cultural exchange programme to support gifted and talented female choreographers in India.
The BENCH INDIA (part of our Outlands programme) is a unique and one off opportunity for 5 talented female choreographers working in India to participate in a mentorship and training programme, giving aspiring artists the confidence to put their work on an international platform and get their artistic voice heard.
Successful candidates will receive:
- 4 full days of mentoring support from one of our Indian partners (2 full days in person and 2 days via either; Skype, phone or email communications).
- Remote mentoring from leading arts/dance professionals from acclaimed female choreographers working in the UK
- Advice and guidance from The British Council in India on what opportunities are available for artists in India
- A full day of training and debates as part of The BENCH Conference at the Attakkalari Biennale Tuesday 7 February 2017
- A bursary of 60,000INR per candidate to contribute towards expenses
- A chance to pitch and be commissioned by 2Faced Dance Company to create a new work that will tour the UK from autumn 2017.
All 5 selected choreographers will pitch for one of two 245,000INR commissions to create a new work and tour it to leading UK theatres throughout September and October 2017. Pitches will take place at the Attakkalari Biennale on Tuesday 7 February 2017. The 2 selected artists will be able to access a further 2 weeks of free studio space prior to touring in the UK.
The BENCH INDIA is open to applications from female choreographers in India who have the creative talent and ambition to develop their choreographic practice and showcase their work internationally.
Successful applicants should be aware that they need to be available to:
- Pitch in Bangalore on Tuesday 7 February 2017
- Tour to the UK during September and October 2017
The programme covers all travel and accommodation for the UK tour and all 5 choreographers will receive a bursary of 60,000INR to contribute towards travel to the Biennale and mentoring in India.
Applications for this programme have now closed.