Women of Colour Commission
Deadline: This commission is now closed to applications.
The BENCH and 2Faced Dance Company in partnership with Dance Hub Birmingham, Strike A Light, Pavilion Dance South West, Kala Sangam, and the Elmley Foundation are pleased to announce The BENCH Commission 2018-2019.
Women of Colour
The BENCH commission is open to self-identifying women of colour to create a new outdoor work in Spring 2019 on up to 3 dancers from 2Faced Dance Company; we recognise that there is a lack of opportunity and platforms for women of colour to make outdoor work and with this commission we (and our partners) wish to make a positive difference. With this commission we want to present a distinctive piece of work that will preview in 2019 and tour nationally and internationally in 2020 as part of 2Faced Dance Company’s 20th anniversary celebrations.
We are looking for women who are courageous in their physical language, can articulate their idea on paper/in the studio and understand the benefits/challenges of creating work outdoors. We believe that, as an internationally touring dance company, we are in the best position to know what is useful and needed for a commission; the selected artist will receive
· Commission fee of £4500 (this covers your fee and for any collaborators you want to work with)
· Access Budget of up to £2000 to ensure the work is accessible
· Production Budget of up to £1000 to cover costume, props etc.
· Fund of up to £1000 to be allocated for your travel and accommodation
· Fund of £1000 to be allocated to an artist nominated mentor
· Fund of up to £800 (£160 p/w x 5 weeks) to be allocated towards any child/dependent care you may need during the creation process
· A fund of up to £500 to be allocated for the development of your knowledge around Outdoor Arts
· A work-in-progress opportunity with Strike A Light Festival on 27th March to present the work and a preview performance (arranged by 2Faced Dance Company) in Summer 2019
· 8 days of dedicated fund raising / bid writing support for your next project from Kala Sangam
· One-to-one sessions with Artistic Director Tamsin Fitzgerald.
· 1 day of Marketing & Communications support from PDSW
· Production support and technical assistance from 2Faced Dance Company
· A professional record in choreographing work on more than one person (this can be in indoor and/or outdoor)
· A commitment to work with a mentor and further your professional development
· An advocate for The BENCH Programme and women in dance
· A well-researched choreographic idea and the ability to articulate it
· The legal right to work in the UK
The proposed work:
· Be between 20 - 30 minutes.
· Created & completed within 4 weeks in Hereford (w/b 25/2, 11/3, 18/3 & 25/3 2019), with an additional 5th week to revisit in early 2020.
· Suitable for outdoor touring and include simple technical requirements
· Demonstrates quality and has access embedded in it
· Able to be performed a minimum of twice a day
Applications will be shortlisted and interviewed by a panel made up of Tamsin Fitzgerald and Ian Abbott from 2Faced Dance Company, Louise Katerega (Associate Artist, People Dancing) and Pawlet Brookes FRSA (CEO and Artistic Director, Serendipity). We will shortlist up to four candidates who will be asked to attend a one-day workshop in Hereford on either 27th or 28th November 2018. Here you will lead a half day workshop with the company as well as attend an interview where you will present your idea to the panel. All shortlisted artists will receive £150 to attend the day.
How to Apply
The deadline to apply for this commission has now passed. Join our mailing list to stay up to date with future developments and opportunities from The BENCH.